Happy Veterans Day to the US readers! I have family members who are serving and who have served, and I am grateful that they are home safe today. My gratitude goes out to those who made sacrifices for our country. Thank you!
Here’s a little inspiration for today, 11-11-11…
1. Today’s date is significant. The buzz on the net and on Twitter and elsewhere is that 11-11-11 is the unofficial start of the 2012 metaphysical year, based on the Mayan long count calendar. Regardless of whether or not you believe the world will come to a literal end, undergo a metaphysical transformation on 12-21-12, or none of the above, it certainly makes for some interesting story ideas. Write a short story about the end of the world on 12-21-12, from the POV of a Mayan priest.
2. Before this day was renamed Veterans Day in 1954, it was known as Armistice Day, which celebrated the cessation of hostilities on the Western Front of World War I, which took effect at eleven o’clock in the morning—the “eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month” of 1918. Write a character sketch for a woman observing the signing of this armistice.
3. Your character goes to bed as usual, but wakes up with a bionic eye. How did it happen and what does she do?
4. Your character’s in-laws are visiting for the weekend. Is this a good or bad thing? Write a passage highlighting interaction between your protagonist and his mother-in-law.
5. Your protagonist is eating dinner at a restaurant owned by a close friend and finds a roach in his dinner.
Have a great weekend everyone!