My heathens…. uh, sprogs… are on spring break. Why elementary and middle school kids deserve a two week spring break is utterly beyond me, but I know by the end of their break, I’m in desperate need of one. Yesterday I told them to get out and walk to a little park about two blocks from our house, desperate for a minute or two of peace.
I told my older son he could not take his bicycle, because the younger doesn’t ride well enough to keep up, and I don’t trust Elder to not abandon his little brother somewhere. I also told them to take a cell phone. My bad.
Not five minutes after they left, the texts began…
THEM: THIS IS <ELDER> CAN I BEING MY BIKE DOWN
THEM: WHY NOT
ME: WE’VE ALREADY HAD THIS DISCUSSION
Three minutes later (and I verified this on my phone)…
THEM: MOM, CAN <ELDER> BRING HIS BIKE DOWN
ME: DON’T ASK ME AGAIN OR I’LL TELL YOU TO COME HOME
Six minutes later…
THEM: <ELDER> MADE ME DELETE A TEXT
And then the phone rang. I could hear them screaming at each other from two streets away. I answered the phone and tried to speak calmly to my younger son as he ranted about something his brother did, but when the conversation devolved into my elder son screaming at the phone that he hadn’t done whatever it was he was being accused of, I hung up. About thirty seconds later I saw them come around a corner, maybe 100 feet from where I was sitting on our patio. I heard this:
“<ELDER>, BE QUIET! I’M TALKING TO MOM! I CAN’T HEAR HER!”
So I yelled from the patio, “You can’t hear me because I hung up on you!” which, of course, led to shrieking and tears.
At least I get to end this spring break in Utah, just me and my husband. The World Horror Convention is in Salt Lake City from March 29 through April 1.
So here’s Friday’s slightly frazzled fuel:
1. Consider the setting of your current work in progress. Where would be the best location to hide a body?
2. On this day in 1965, NASA launched our first two-man space flight crew with Gus Grissom and John Young. Write a short story about this event from the POV of someone in a space colony looking back on the historic occasion.
3. Choose a genre that you do not normally write in and write a flash fiction piece about a pen.
4. Your protagonist gets an email from an old friend, someone they haven’t seen in years, asking for financial help. Does he or she do it?
5. What would your protagonist’s favorite board game be?
Have a great weekend everyone! My mom will be coming out to stay with the sprogs for the tail end of their spring break. Pray for her.